top of page

What benefits are available for people living with dementia in Manchester?

Updated: May 13

What benefits are available for carers in Manchester?

Caring for a person who lives with dementia is hard emotionally and physically. These difficulties are often discussed. There is one element of living a life affected by dementia we often feel too awkward to talk about: the expense.

Disability is expensive, and in the UK disabled people face an average of £570 per month in extra costs. This 'disability price tag' costs an average of £6,840 a year. One in four disabled people pay over £12,000 extra due to their condition.

Three older ladies sit similing for the camera. They are in a festive mood ready to perform christmas carols at Manchester Cathedral

Dementia is often called a 'prolific comorbidity'. If you receive a dementia diagnosis, you are very likely to develop more conditions. This often includes diabetes, mobility issues, and Parkinson's disease. Some people will develop more than one type of dementia.

Can people get benefits for caring for a person living with dementia?

There are some benefits and allowances available for diabled peoople, and for people who care for family members. Every person is unique, so no benefits advice is 'one size fits all'. The information provided below is so that you can research each benefit or allowance. You can speak to Citizen's Advice for more comprehensive guidance on what is right for you.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The side door of a blue minibus is open, and a beaming male passenger smiles to the camera. It's a sunny day and he's excited about his trip to Blackpool

This is an allowance for disabled people under the age of 65. It is not means tested, which means it doesn't matter how much you earn, you are entitled to receive it. There are two categories or components to PIP, and both componenets have a basic and an enhanced rate.

  1. For day to day living needs

  2. For mobility support needs

PIP is the standard benefit for disability, and is recognised by organiations and business who may need to offer you support needs.

Applying for PIP can be a difficult process. Most people receive rejections at the first stage of application. The majority of people who appeal for re-assessment are successful, so if you are rejected your claim at the first stage ensure you submit an appeal.

As the process can be long and challenging, we reccommend you speak to Citizen's Advice, or get help to fill in the form.

You will need to apply to the Department of Work and Pensions to receive PIP. Visit or call 0800 917 22 22

Attendance Allowance (for over 65s)

Attendance Allowance helps with the extra costs if you need someone to help look after you. It is awarded to the disabled person or the person living with dementia.

You can check if you are eligible and apply for Attendance Allowance on the Department for Work and Pensions website

On a chilly day, 8 carers stand smiling in front of the duck pond at Alexandra Park. There are 6 women and 2 men. They are wearing their courts on an overcast October day.

Carer's Allowance

This is available to working carers to help support them with the extra costs of being a family carer. Not everyone is eligible for carers allowance, so read the guidance carefully. You might not like to think of yourself as having a carer, or call yourself a carer, but still have a look at this benefit. It may help you in the future.

Find out more information here: 

Employment Support Allowance

ESA is either income or contribution based. It is available for people under 65 who are experienceing long term sickness and are unable to work.

For more information, see or call 0800 023 2581

Council Tax Rebate

If you or someone you live with has a diagnosis of dementia, you may be entitled to a Council Tax rebate from 25% to 100%. How you claim and how the conditions you need to meet can depend on your local council.

Manchester City Council requires your condition be confirmed by a doctor or other health professional. You must also be receipt of one of the following benefits:

  • Short-term or long-term incapacity benefit (IB)

  • Employment Support Allowance (ESA)

  • Attendance Allowance (AA)

  • Sever Disablement Allowance (SDA)

  • The highest or middle-rate component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)

  • Personal Independence Payment Daily Living Component either at standard or enhanced rate

  • An increase in Disablement Pension for constant attendance

  • The disability element of Working Tax Credit

  • Unemployability Supplement (abolished in 1987 but existing claimants remain entitled)

  • Constant Attendance Allowance payable under the Industrial Injuries or War Pension schemes

  • Armed Forces Independence Payment

  • Income Support which includes a disability premium because of incapacity to work

  • The 'limited capacity for work' or 'the limited capacity for work related elements' of Universal Credit

A person in the household who has severe mental impairment may not lead to a reduction in Council Tax. For example, if two or more people in the household are counted for Council Tax purposes. Apply if you are not sure, and Manchester City Council can check for you.

In an outdoor gazebo, a young woman dances with an older man. They are smiling and happy. It's sunny with some clouds in the sky.

Did you find this information helpful?

Please consider making a donation to our charity to support our vital services for people living with dementia and their carers.

33 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

GM LQBTQ+ - Online Dementia Support Group

A safe and friendly space to express yourselves and support each other: Speak or listen in a LGBTQ+ safe space Be anonymous if you prefer Make friends/connections with others Talk about issues that ar


Les commentaires ont été désactivés.
People border.png
People border.png
bottom of page